Ryan Lochte on critics: Haters are 'a given'
NEW YORK (AP) - April 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- What would Ryan Lochte do if he became the brunt of a joke? Ignore it.
The 28-year-old Olympic gold medalist-turned-reality TV star addressed the ups-and-downs of fame at the E! Network Upfront in New York on Monday.
He's experienced both in recent days.
A new reality series "What Would Ryan Lochte Do" premiered Sunday on E! It debuted on the heels of an unflattering video that went viral over the weekend where he appeared in an interview via satellite with Fox affiliate WTXF in Philadelphia. The segment itself- while rather dull and maybe a little awkward- became the most entertaining when it ended. The anchors doubled over with laughter over Lochte's response to some of their questions and wondered out loud how producers would have enough material to put together a TV show about him.
On the E! carpet, Lochte said he takes any naysayers in stride.
"The more known you get in the public eye, the more haters you're gonna have and that's a given," he rationalized. "But, you know what? All the haters, all the name calling goes through one ear (and) out the other and I don't mind it. The way I look at it the more haters I have it means I'm doing something right."
He credits swimming with helping him to block out the noise of negativity.
"With swimming I've been known to cut out everything. The crowd, everything. Just focus on me and my lane and what I need to accomplish so I can do that pretty much in life too."
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools relocating students, staff Friday 21 min ago
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers 43 min ago
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run