Zeta-Jones checks into mental health facility
LOS ANGELES (AP) - April 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- A spokeswoman for Catherine Zeta-Jones says the actress has "proactively" checked into a mental health facility for treatment of her bipolar condition.
Publicist Sarah Fuller said in an email to The Associated Press late Monday that Zeta-Jones "is committed to periodic care in order to manage her health in an optimum manner."
Two years ago, the 43-year-old Oscar winner checked into a similar facility for a brief stay for treatment of her condition, known as Bipolar II. The disorder is characterized by mood swings and depressive episodes, and is commonly treated with medication and psychotherapy.
Zeta-Jones has been one of the busiest talents in show business of late, appearing in films such as "Rock of Ages," ''Playing for Keeps," ''Broken City" and "Side Effects."
Her most recent treatment was first reported by TMZ.
health care, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 22 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ