Madonna's French painting sells in NYC for $7.2M
NEW YORK (AP) - May 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- A French painting owned by Madonna has sold at a New York City auction for more than $7 million.
Sotheby's auction house hasn't said who bought Fernand Leger's "Three Women at the Red Table" for $7.2 million on Tuesday. The abstract work had a pre-sale estimate of $5 million to $7 million.
Proceeds of the sale will benefit the Ray of Light Foundation, which supports girls' education in Afghanistan, Pakistan and other countries.
Madonna says she wanted to "trade something valuable for something invaluable" in countries where female education is rare or nonexistent. She bought the work at Sotheby's in 1990 for $3.4 million.
Leger created the work in 1921 as part of a series depicting women with still-life compositions.
madonna, new york city, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 18 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken 2 min ago
- Kensington chocolate factory shut down by City
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed 43 min ago
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man 27 min ago
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 43 min ago
- Suspects sought for shooting into home 16 min ago
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 1 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Suspects sought for shooting into home
16 min ago
- Saving with 6abc: Shopping seasonally
38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos