Chris Brown's scary curbside art irks LA neighbors
LOS ANGELES (AP) - May 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Chris Brown's scary curbside art irks LA neighbors
A neighborhood group said the grimacing, sharp-toothed, red-eyed goblins painted along a retaining wall have been scaring children, and is an eyesore to boot, according to the Los Angeles Times.
"There are lots of babies, lots of children, and they're literally frightened. It's like devils on the wall - big scary eyes and big scary teeth, and just the whole vibe is not what we're used to," Patti Negri, president of the Hollywood Dell Civic Association, told the newspaper.
L.A. city code officials responded to complaints about the monster art and cited the "Run It!" singer $376 for unpermitted and excessive signage.
Under city ordinances, it's illegal to create murals on most private properties. Though that didn't stop Madonna from painting her Hollywood Hills home in red and yellow stripes in the 1990s.
Brown has been ordered to remove the goblin paintings within 30 days, but his attorney Mark Geragos said the musician is not backing down.
"They are trying to suspend the First Amendment," Geragos said.
Geragos alleges neighbors are harassing Brown and have also made parking complaints about him and called animal control.
In a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Saturday, Negri said all she wants is for Brown to "tone it down and be a better neighbor."
Brown's tumultuous relationship with singer Rihanna and foul-mouthed Twitter presence have given him a bad boy reputation.
Brown won a Grammy in 2011 for Best R&B Album with "F.A.M.E." and was arrested shortly after the 2009 awards ceremony for assaulting Rihanna.
"I know a $300 fine is probably pocket change. But hopefully and maybe, he'll just see the light and decide to be a good neighbor," Negri told the Times. "We're happy to have him - if he just tones it down."
chris brown, los angeles, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Robber slashed with knife; suspect's mom talks 1 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News 32 min ago
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash 37 min ago
- Mattress catches fire in townhouse in Whitemarsh 51 min ago
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings 40 min ago
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft 44 min ago
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash 51 min ago
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy....
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos