Pitt says it was important for Jolie to go public
NEW YORK (AP) - May 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Brad Pitt says it was important for his partner, Angelina Jolie, to share her story about having her breasts removed to avoid cancer "and that others would understand it doesn't have to be a scary thing."
In an interview published Wednesday in USA Today, the actor said: "In fact, it can be an empowering thing, and something that makes you stronger and makes us stronger."
Jolie revealed Tuesday in an op-ed article in The New York Times that she had a double mastectomy and breast reconstruction for an inherited gene mutation that put her at high risk of breast and ovarian cancer.
Pitt called the experience "an emotional and beautifully inspiring few months."
He added: "It's such a wonderful relief to come through this and not have a specter hanging over our heads. To know that that's not going to be something that's going to affect us. My most proudest thing is our family. This isn't going to get that."
angelina jolie, brad pitt, cancer, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: 24 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 26 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 12 min ago
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway 2 min ago
- Road reopens months after Frankford water main break 17 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
12 min ago
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
26 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos