Eminem's publisher sues Facebook over song usage
DETROIT (AP) - May 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Eminem's song publisher is suing Facebook and an ad agency, saying they copied music from one of the rapper's songs.
Eight Mile Style filed a federal lawsuit in Detroit on Monday, alleging that a Facebook ad that was broadcast online last month copied music from Eminem's 2000 song "Under the Influence."
The Detroit Free Press reports the 30-second ad was featured in a webcast by Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to announce Facebook Home, an interface for Android phones.
The complaint says ad agency Wieden+Kennedy of Portland, Ore., copied Eminem's music "in an effort to curry favor" with Facebook by catering to Zuckerberg's personal likes and to "invoke the same irreverent theme" of the song.
Messages seeking comment were left Tuesday with Facebook and the ad agency.
eminem, facebook, lawsuit, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Snow today, heavy at times 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded 47 min ago
- Heavy flames damage Southwest Philadelphia house 36 min ago
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Snow today, heavy at times
48 min ago
- John Rawlins tracks the snowstorm
9 min ago
- Katherine Scott tracks the storm from...
7 min ago