Ryan Gosling breaks Cannes' heart, misses premiere
CANNES, France (AP) - May 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Cannes Film Festival is missing one of its biggest stars of this year's festival: Ryan Gosling.
The 32-year-old Canadian actor was unable to attend the premiere Wednesday of director Nicolas Winding Refn's film "Only God Forgives." Gosling stars in the Bangkok noir about a boxing club owner pressured by his mother to his avenge his brother's murder.
At a press conference Wednesday, Cannes director Thierry Fremaux read, in French, a letter from Gosling apologizing for his absence. The actor is currently in Detroit shooting his directorial debut, "How to Catch a Monster."
"I can't believe that I'm not in Cannes with you," Gosling wrote. "I was hoping to be coming but I am in the third week of shooting my movie. I miss you all.
"Nicolas, my friend, we really are the same, simply in different worlds and I am sending you good vibrations. I am with you all."
His absence is a blow to the festival, which depends on top stars like Gosling to walk its red carpet and draw the world's media attention to the annual French Riviera extravaganza.
Fremaux said he was sad that Gosling couldn't make it.
"He is not with us physically, but as he stated, his thoughts are with us," said Fremaux.
"Only God Forgives" is Gosling's second collaboration with Refn following 2011's "Drive."
"Only God Forgives" was screened for the media early Wednesday at Cannes, where it drew mixed reviews for its extreme violence and nightmarish treatment of such a Greek tragedy.
movies, france, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 10 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 3 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?