Sean Penn charity to sponsor Haitian runners
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - May 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Haiti humanitarian group for Hollywood star Sean Penn says it will sponsor five Haitian runners in the New York City Marathon in November.
Penn's J/P Haitian Relief Organization said Friday it will back the top three men and two women finishers running Sunday in a half-marathon in Port-au-Prince.
An executive for the group says the decision to help the Haitians compete was inspired in part by an Associated Press story in January about distance runner Astrel Clovis. He regularly runs through Port-au-Prince three years after an earthquake devastated the capital.
J/P HRO also has secured five more slots for celebrities and philanthropists who will participate in the Nov. 3 marathon to raise funds for the group.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road 57 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 38 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th 47 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Police question suspect in Christmas package theft 40 min ago
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags
- Charges filed in alleged chop shop raid in N. Phila. 41 min ago
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road
57 min ago
- Police question suspect in Christmas...
40 min ago