Jon Stewart to take 'Daily Show' break for a film
NEW YORK (AP) -June 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- Jon Stewart is starting a summer-long break from anchoring "The Daily Show," but it will be no holiday. He'll be in the Middle East making his first movie.
While he's away, Stewart says he'll miss hosting the Comedy Central fake newscast.
As he explains, "People clap for me! That doesn't happen just anywhere."
Stewart will be directing and producing "Rosewater" from his own script, based on a memoir by Maziar Bahari. This Iranian journalist was falsely accused of being a spy and imprisoned by the Iranian government in 2009 while covering Iran's presidential election.
Pressed for more details about the film, Stewart cracked, "I haven't seen it yet. But I hear it's good."
After Stewart signs off Thursday night until returning September 3, correspondent John Oliver will handle anchor duties on the New York-based show.
jon stewart, movies, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington 53 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
10 min ago