Britain's Prince Philip enters hospital for operation
LONDON (AP) - June 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Queen Elizabeth II's husband has been admitted to a London hospital for an exploratory operation, Buckingham Palace said Thursday.
The palace said the operation on 91-year-old Prince Philip - which will take place on Friday - was pre-planned and comes after "abdominal investigations" that were carried out over the past week.
"He is in good spirits," said a spokeswoman for the palace. She declined to elaborate on Philip's condition or when the decision was made to operate, saying only that the queen's husband is expected to be in the London Clinic for up to two weeks.
The London Clinic - a private hospital and longtime favorite for celebrities and royals in need of treatment - declined to comment.
Philip was driven by car to the hospital shortly after attending a Buckingham Palace garden party hosted by his wife. Footage from the party showed the queen's husband smiling and chatting with guests as he walked around the garden.
Prime Minister David Cameron sent Philip his best wishes via Twitter, writing that he hopes the queen's husband has a "swift recovery."
After pulling out of an event earlier this week because of illness, Philip later attended a service to mark the 60th anniversary of the queen's coronation.
Philip turns 92 on June 10. His health was in the spotlight last summer when he spent almost a week in the hospital after a recurrence of a bladder infection.
He also has been treated for heart disease in recent years, and along with the queen has cut back on lengthy overseas travel. Still, the royals maintain active public schedules inside Britain.
The queen is expected to carry out her scheduled engagements as planned on Friday, which include a visit to the new BBC studios in central London.
england, queen elizabeth, prince philip, royals, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating 39 min ago
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos 47 min ago
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash 18 min ago
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
18 min ago