Prince Philip spends 92nd birthday in hospital
LONDON (AP) - June 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Prince Philip, spending his 92nd birthday in hospital, will need two months of convalescence to recover from abdominal surgery, palace officials said Monday.
Queen Elizabeth II's husband is "comfortable and in good spirits," Buckingham Palace officials said in a brief statement. Details of his condition were not released.
He is expected to stay in a London hospital for about two weeks before going into convalescence. The palace said the queen is expected to visit him there Monday evening.
Philip's son, Prince Edward, was the first member of the royal family to pay a visit. After spending 20 minutes at his father's bedside Monday, Edward told reporters outside the hospital that his father was doing well.
Officials say he is "progressing satisfactorily" after the exploratory surgery on Friday at a private London clinic. Results of various tests are expected this week, but it is not clear if the diagnosis will be made public.
Philip has suffered heart and bladder problems in the past but he appeared well when he was last seen in public at a Buckingham Palace garden party Thursday.
His birthday was officially celebrated by two extended gun salutes in central London.
england, queen elizabeth, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 7 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 55 min ago
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape