Kanye West says new album is 'all about giving'
NEW YORK (AP) - June 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Kanye West says his new album is all about giving.
The multiplatinum rapper held a listening for "Yeezus" late Monday in New York City, where Jay-Z and wife Beyonce were among the few hundred attendees.
West said his sixth effort will showcase his growth over the last two years and that he "had to learn about giving ... this whole process is all about giving."
"I feel like I know who I am," said West, who turned 36 on Saturday.
"Yeezus" is out June 18. It has a dark, moody vibe that expands beyond his last two solo efforts, 2010's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" and 2008's "808s & Heartbreak." It's also a departure from his first three albums, which featured a plethora of radio hits.
West held the listening in the loading dock of Milk Studios in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood. The room was dark as lights burst onto the walls to display colorful visuals that assisted the 10 songs the rapper played.
Busta Rhymes also attended the listening. West's new album features Bon Iver's Justin Vernon and rapper Chief Keef.
West and girlfriend Kim Kardashian are expecting their first child.
kanye west, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- Officer shoots, kills Lancaster County man
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ