Paula Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) - June 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- Celebrity cook Paula Deen says she has used racial slurs in the past but insists she and her brother, who are accused of racial and sexual discrimination in a lawsuit by a former manager of their restaurant, don't tolerate hateful behavior.
In a court deposition filed Monday in federal court, an attorney for former restaurant manager Lisa Jackson presses the 66-year-old Deen about her racial views and those of her brother, Bubba Hiers. Deen is asked if she's ever used "the N-word." She responds: "Yes, of course."
Deen says she likely used the slur in the 1980s after a black man held her at gunpoint at the Georgia bank where she worked.
Deen insists she and her brother object to slurs being used in "any cruel or mean behavior."
paula deen, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 52 min ago
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 10 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County 41 min ago
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery 56 min ago
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Security breach affected all cards, not...
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos