Paula Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) - June 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- Celebrity cook Paula Deen says she has used racial slurs in the past but insists she and her brother, who are accused of racial and sexual discrimination in a lawsuit by a former manager of their restaurant, don't tolerate hateful behavior.
In a court deposition filed Monday in federal court, an attorney for former restaurant manager Lisa Jackson presses the 66-year-old Deen about her racial views and those of her brother, Bubba Hiers. Deen is asked if she's ever used "the N-word." She responds: "Yes, of course."
Deen says she likely used the slur in the 1980s after a black man held her at gunpoint at the Georgia bank where she worked.
Deen insists she and her brother object to slurs being used in "any cruel or mean behavior."
paula deen, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 32 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 5 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 55 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 11 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 16 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 22 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 40 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 31 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 40 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
11 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
16 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila....
31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
32 min ago