Paula Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) - June 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- Celebrity cook Paula Deen says she has used racial slurs in the past but insists she and her brother, who are accused of racial and sexual discrimination in a lawsuit by a former manager of their restaurant, don't tolerate hateful behavior.
In a court deposition filed Monday in federal court, an attorney for former restaurant manager Lisa Jackson presses the 66-year-old Deen about her racial views and those of her brother, Bubba Hiers. Deen is asked if she's ever used "the N-word." She responds: "Yes, of course."
Deen says she likely used the slur in the 1980s after a black man held her at gunpoint at the Georgia bank where she worked.
Deen insists she and her brother object to slurs being used in "any cruel or mean behavior."
paula deen, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash 40 min ago
- Wintry Weekend 27 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub 10 min ago
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub 9 min ago
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice 29 min ago
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary 12 min ago
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
40 min ago
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park...
10 min ago
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub
9 min ago
- Wintry Weekend
27 min ago