Halle Berry to testify on California paparazzi bill
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - June 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- Actress Halle Berry is scheduled to testify on Tuesday in favor of California legislation that would limit the ability of paparazzi to photograph the children of celebrities.
The hearing before the Assembly Committee on Public Safety is set for midmorning, although it's not clear exactly when Berry is expected to speak.
Berry has tangled with paparazzi. In April, she shouted and cursed at photographers at Los Angeles International Airport, telling them to get away from her young daughter, the Los Angeles Times reported.
The bill by state Sen. Kevin de Leon, D-Los Angeles, would change the definition of harassment to include photographing or recording a child without the permission of a legal guardian, by following the child or guardian's activities or by lying in wait.
It also increases the penalties for people convicted of such behavior. The first conviction would require imprisonment of at least 10 days, up from the current five days.
The goal is also to protect the children of public officials, including judges and law enforcement, said Greg Hayes, a spokesman for the senator.
Opponents, including The Motion Picture Association of America, said it infringes on free speech.
Jim Ewert, general counsel for the California Newspaper Publishers Association, told the Times the bill could criminalize legitimate news gathering.
"It's what journalists do," he said. "They take pictures."
halle berry, california, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police officers narrowly escape bullets in North Philly 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 11 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
11 min ago