Prince Andrew becomes first UK royal on Twitter
LONDON (AP) July 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Twitter is now a bit more royal.
Britain's Prince Andrew has joined the micro-blogging service as DukeOfYork.
Within hours of opening the account Monday, Andrew had more than 10,000 followers - but also had received several abusive comments.
The son of Queen Elizabeth II has served as a navy helicopter pilot and a British business ambassador, and is following charities, arts organizations and the Hunstanton Golf Club on Twitter.
So far he is was not following his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson, who tweets as SarahTheDuchess.
The British monarchy has two official Twitter accounts, but Andrew is the first family member to tweet in a personal capacity, signing messages he has written AY.
Asked about abusive tweets Andrew had received, a palace spokesman said the duke is a champion of free speech.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- Wintry Weekend 2 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- SEPTA bus strikes and kills man
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- Man freed from under train on Broad Street Line
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish
- Wintry Weekend
2 min ago