Singer Randy Travis remains in critical condition
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - July 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Randy Travis remains in critical condition in a Texas hospital after doctors used a pump to stabilize his heart.
A news release from Travis' publicist on Tuesday says he underwent the procedure after checking into the hospital Sunday with viral cardiomyopathy, a heart condition caused by a virus.
The publicist, Kirt Webster, says the peripheral left ventricular assist device was used to stabilize Travis's heart prior to a hospital transfer to Dallas.
Travis thanked fans in the news release "for their love and support during this time."
No other details about the 54-year-old Grammy winner's condition were available.
The Mayo Clinic website says the disease weakens and enlarges the heart muscle, making it harder for the heart to pump blood and carry it to the rest of the body. It can lead to heart failure
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub
- Wintry Weekend 22 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub 47 min ago
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary 38 min ago
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub
47 min ago
- Wintry Weekend
22 min ago