Singer Randy Travis remains in critical condition
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - July 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Randy Travis remains in critical condition in a Texas hospital after doctors used a pump to stabilize his heart.
A news release from Travis' publicist on Tuesday says he underwent the procedure after checking into the hospital Sunday with viral cardiomyopathy, a heart condition caused by a virus.
The publicist, Kirt Webster, says the peripheral left ventricular assist device was used to stabilize Travis's heart prior to a hospital transfer to Dallas.
Travis thanked fans in the news release "for their love and support during this time."
No other details about the 54-year-old Grammy winner's condition were available.
The Mayo Clinic website says the disease weakens and enlarges the heart muscle, making it harder for the heart to pump blood and carry it to the rest of the body. It can lead to heart failure
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 8 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 23 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 5 min ago
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity 51 min ago
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
23 min ago