Elton John cancels London show due to appendicitis
LONDON (AP) - July 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Elton John has canceled a show in London's Hyde Park due to appendicitis that will require surgery.
A statement issued Tuesday by the musician's publicist said John was suffering from an inflamed appendix and surrounding abscess.
He has been advised by doctors to cancel his concerts while he undergoes a regime of antibiotics to treat the abscess. That will be followed by surgery in the next few weeks.
The statement said John fell ill during his recent European tour, but "is eager to be back on top form and return to play the remaining shows starting in early September 2013."
The 66-year-old performer had been due to play an outdoor concert in London's Hyde Park on Friday on a bill with Elvis Costello and Ray Davies.
Concert organizers said the show will go on - for free - with the remaining lineup and that ticket holders will receive a full refund.
Last year John canceled several U.S. dates after being diagnosed with a respiratory infection.
His new album, "The Diving Board," is due out in September.
elton john, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run