WWE to 6abc: Philadelphia interested in hosting Wrestlemania
PHILADELPHIA - July 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia is interested in hosting a future Wrestlemania, WWE tells 6abc.com.
The wrestling world, at least the wrestling city of Philadelphia, was abuzz Thursday with talks that the City of Brotherly Love may be hosting Wrestlemania in the near future.
It appears the initial report came from the website Wrestlechat.net which cites The Wrestling Observer.
The report says that since Wrestlemania 29 at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey this past April was successful to the company, WWE is "no longer afraid" to perform their marquee event in an East Coast stadium.
According to the website's sources, "Lincoln Financial Field is currently a top contender being considered" for Wrestlemania 31 in 2015 or Wrestlemania 32 in 2016.
6abc contacted WWE to get an official response on these reports.
Here is their statement:
Philadelphia is one of the many cities that has expressed an interest in hosting a future WrestleMania. An announcement regarding WrestleMania 31 will be made early next year.
So while this is not an official announcement of Wrestlemania returning to Philadelphia, WWE does say the city is interested, which gives area wrestling fans hope.
The last and only time Wrestlemania took place in Philly was in 1999 (Wrestlemania 15) at the First Union Center, now the Wells Fargo Center, when Stone Cold Steve Austin defeated The Rock for the WWE Championship (then WWF).
Talks of a Philadelphia Wrestlemania come just days before WWE's Money In The Bank pay per view event takes place at the Wells Fargo Center on Sunday.
Now the question remains - will Wrestlemania be the next major WWE event in Philly? Stay tuned.
philadelphia, lincoln financial field, philadelphia eagles, wwe, wrestling, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Tracking Weekend Storm 49 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
59 min ago
- Tracking Weekend Storm
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos