Rihanna wins case against UK retailer Topshop
LONDON (AP) - July 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- Pop singer Rihanna has won a court case in Britain against retailer Topshop, which was selling T-shirts bearing her image without permission.
High Court Justice Colin Birss ruled in favor of the singer on Wednesday, saying buyers were likely deceived by believing Rihanna had authorized its sale.
"I am quite satisfied that many fans of Rihanna regard her endorsement as important," the judge said in his ruling. "She is their style icon. Many will buy a product because they think she has approved of it. Others will wish to buy it because of the value of the perceived authorization itself. In both cases they will have been deceived."
Birss also said the sales caused a loss of control over Rihanna's reputation in the fashion realm, where the singer has been trying to carve out a name as a designer. She has a clothing line in her name at a rival store.
The shirts were first sold as the "Rihanna Tank." After her complaints, they were sold as being the "Headscarf Girl Tank" and the "Icon Tank."
Topshop's owner, Arcadia Group Brands Ltd., had argued that Rihanna was seeking legal recognition for a flawed assumption that only a celebrity could market a product bearing his or her image.
Topshop said it was surprised and disappointed by the ruling and was considering an appeal.
"There was no intention by Topshop to create the appearance of an endorsement or promotion," it said in a statement. "We do not believe it conveyed any false message to our customers."
The judge did not make an assessment of damages in his ruling.
rihanna, lawsuit, england, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike
- Temps Soar 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 48 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
47 min ago
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila...
48 min ago