UK to Kelly Clarkson: Hands off Jane Austen's ring
LONDON (AP) - August 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- The British government has stepped in to stop singer Kelly Clarkson taking a ring once owned by Jane Austen out of the country.
The "American Idol" winner bought the gold and turquoise ring at auction last year for just over 150,000 pounds ($228,000).
But on Thursday Culture Minister Ed Vaizey put an export bar on the item until Sept. 30 in the hope that a British buyer will come forward.
Vaizey said Austen's modest lifestyle and early death aged 41 "mean that objects associated with her of any kind are extremely rare, so I hope that a U.K. buyer comes forward so this simple but elegant ring can be saved for the nation."
The government has the power temporarily to halt the export of works judged to be national treasures.
kelly clarkson, london, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos