NBC's Brian Williams to take leave for surgery
NEW YORK (AP) - Auigust 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- NBC News anchor Brian Williams will be off the air for a few weeks soon for surgery to replace a knee that was damaged in a high school football game decades ago.
Williams discussed knee replacement surgery in a story by Dr. Nancy Snyderman on NBC's "Nightly News" on Thursday, saying, "If you don't see me around here for a while, this is the reason why."
The anchor of television's top-rated evening news show said he's had three previous surgeries on his right knee, but the pain was becoming more of an issue. When it began costing him sleep, Williams said he realized it was time to take care of it. Williams is 54.
Lester Holt will fill in for him. NBC isn't saying when the surgery will be.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd 36 min ago
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del. 11 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball