Facebook CEO publicly calls for immigration reform
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - August 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg spoke out publicly for the first time Monday in favor of immigration reform, an issue he's been working on behind the scenes for several months.
The 29-year-old billionaire made his remarks in San Francisco at the debut screening of "Documented," an autobiographical documentary by activist and journalist Jose Antonio Vargas.
Wearing his trademark hoodie and sneakers, Zuckerberg disputed the notion that he and other Silicon Valley leaders are just trying to secure more H1B visas for high-tech workers.
"This is something that we believe is really important for the future of our country - and for us to do what's right," Zuckerberg told several hundred attendees, including House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee, at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts.
Zuckerberg and his former Harvard University roommate Joe Green recently founded the organization Fwd.us to advocate for a pathway to citizenship for nearly 11 million immigrants living in the U.S. illegally. But Monday was the first time Zuckerberg spoke about the issue in public.
The Facebook Inc. founder said he first became aware of the need to change the immigration system while volunteering to teach a class on entrepreneurship at a Menlo Park school. Many of the students had been brought into the U.S. illegally.
"No matter where they were born, (these students) are going to be tomorrow's entrepreneurs and people creating jobs in this country," he told the audience. "These are issues that don't just touch our part of the industry, but really touch a whole country."
mark zuckerberg, facebook, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion 53 min ago
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 4 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 15 min ago
- Police ID man killed in shooting that led to standoff 25 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 12 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 11 min ago
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 28 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 2 min ago