'Wizard of Oz' Munchkin Margaret Pellegrini dies
PHOENIX (AP) - August 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Margaret Pellegrini, one of the original Munchkins from the 1939 classic movie "The Wizard of Oz," has died. She was 89.
Pellegrini suffered a stroke Monday at her Glendale, Ariz., home and died Wednesday at a Phoenix-area hospital.
Her death was confirmed by Ted Bulthaup (BOLT-hop), a Woodbridge, Ill., resident who owns a Chicago theater where Pellegrini and other Munchkins have made special appearances. He says he learned of it from Pellegrini's relatives.
With her death, only two of the original 124 Munchkins in the movie are still alive.
Pellegrini was a guest speaker at grade schools across the Phoenix metropolitan area for many years. The Arizona Republic reports she usually appeared in costume and told stories about her time as a Munchkin. She also talked about the movie's moral lessons.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 17 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student 16 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar