Robin Thicke heads to court over 'Blurred Lines'
LOS ANGELES - August 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- Robin Thicke is asking a federal judge to determine his song "Blurred Lines" doesn't copy from elements of two other songs.
Attorneys for Thicke and the song's collaborators, Pharrell Williams and T.I., filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles on Thursday asking a judge to determine their song does not copy songs composed by Marvin Gaye and George Clinton.
"Plaintiffs created a hit and did it without copying anyone else's composition," the lawsuit reads.
The suit states representatives of the owners of copyrights to Gaye's song "Got to Give It Up" and Clinton's song "Sexy Ways" have warned Thicke that he and his collaborators have used elements of the songs in "Blurred Lines."
"The basis of the Gaye defendants' claims is that 'Blurred Lines' and 'Got to Give It Up' 'feel' or 'sound' the same," the lawsuit states. "Being reminiscent of a 'sound' is not copyright infringement. The intent in producing 'Blurred Lines' was to evoke an era."
Representatives for Thicke and one of the defendants, Gaye's son Marvin Gaye III, didn't immediately reply to emails seeking comment.
"Blurred Lines" is spending its 10th week at No. 1 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart. It has sold 4.6 million tracks. The song's music video features nude models prowling around Thicke, Williams and T.I. It has more than 137 million views and helped propel the song to the top of the charts.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police try to ID mystery hit-and-run victim 52 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse 1 min ago
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China 26 min ago
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Police try to ID mystery hit-and-run victim
52 min ago