Israeli President Peres to honor Spielberg, Wiesel
JERUSALEM (AP) - September 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Israel's president will award this year's Presidential Medal of Distinction to a group that includes Hollywood director Steven Spielberg and Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel.
Shimon Peres' office said Thursday that Spielberg will be recognized for his contribution to cinema and "his unique contribution to the memory of the Holocaust, to the State of Israel (and) to the Jewish people."
Wiesel, a world-renowned author and intellectual, survived the Holocaust and is being honored for his work commemorating it.
Israel's Presidential Medal of Distinction is comparable to the France's Legion of Honor or the Order of Canada. Previous winners include President Barack Obama, former President Bill Clinton, former U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger and conductor Zubin Mehta.
hollywood, israel, steven spielberg, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 29 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge 54 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
29 min ago