Joel, Santana to receive Kennedy Center Honors
WASHINGTON (AP) - September 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Billy Joel and Carlos Santana are among four musicians who will receive this year's Kennedy Center Honors, along with actress Shirley MacLaine.
The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts announced the selections Thursday. The honorees also include jazz artist Herbie Hancock and opera star Martina Arroyo.
The award is the nation's highest honor for those who influence American culture through the arts. President Barack Obama hosts the honorees at the White House, and Secretary of State John Kerry hosts a dinner in their honor.
Top entertainers will salute the honorees in a gala performance Dec. 8 to be broadcast Dec. 29 on CBS.
This is the first year of a revised selection process after a group last year said the Kennedy Center had long excluded Latinos from the prize.
billy joel, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist 48 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 33 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep 43 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 56 min ago
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown 59 min ago
- Mom to surrender after daughter, 11, shot and killed 47 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 49 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Man with samurai sword arrested at New Jersey deli
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
33 min ago
- Art of Aging: Retirement opportunities
30 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
49 min ago