Joel, Santana to receive Kennedy Center Honors
WASHINGTON (AP) - September 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Billy Joel and Carlos Santana are among four musicians who will receive this year's Kennedy Center Honors, along with actress Shirley MacLaine.
The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts announced the selections Thursday. The honorees also include jazz artist Herbie Hancock and opera star Martina Arroyo.
The award is the nation's highest honor for those who influence American culture through the arts. President Barack Obama hosts the honorees at the White House, and Secretary of State John Kerry hosts a dinner in their honor.
Top entertainers will salute the honorees in a gala performance Dec. 8 to be broadcast Dec. 29 on CBS.
This is the first year of a revised selection process after a group last year said the Kennedy Center had long excluded Latinos from the prize.
billy joel, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station... 56 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases 12 min ago
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire