Prince Harry spends night in cold chamber
LONDON (AP) - September 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- Prince Harry has spent the night in a giant freezer to simulate the conditions he will face when he treks to the South Pole in November.
The 29-year-old royal, who will race with a team of injured British servicemen and women against groups from the United States and the Commonwealth, spent around 20 hours in a cold chamber where he was subjected to temperatures of -35 Celsius (-31 Fahrenheit), with wind speeds of 45 miles per hour.
Alongside four teammates - all amputees who lost limbs after sustaining injuries in Afghanistan - Harry tested the clothing he will wear on the 200-mile (320-kilometer) expedition and learned how to avoid frostbite.
When asked Tuesday what the worst part of his overnight experience was, Harry joked: "Going in."
prince harry, south pole, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot in Wilmington 24 min ago
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced
- ID released of man killed on Pa. Turnpike
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton 12 min ago
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition