USPS honors Ray Charles with limited-edition stamp
ATLANTA (AP) - September 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- The U.S. Postal Service is planning to add soul singer Ray Charles to its "Music Icons Forever" stamp series.
Postal officials say the agency is releasing a stamp featuring the Albany, Ga., native on Monday along with one of the artist's previously unreleased songs.
Charles was a singer and songwriter who pioneered the soul and rhythm and blues genres. He died in 2004.
Events are being planned in Atlanta and Los Angeles to celebrate Charles' inclusion in the series.
R&B singer Ashanti and the Morehouse College Glee Club are scheduled to perform at the Atlanta school's Ray Charles Performing Arts Center. And Chaka Khan is headlining an event at the Grammy Museum.
The U.S. Postal Service honors music legends each year by featuring them on limited-edition stamps.
music, u.s. postal service, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown 59 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 42 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry 41 min ago