USPS honors Ray Charles with limited-edition stamp
ATLANTA (AP) - September 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- The U.S. Postal Service is planning to add soul singer Ray Charles to its "Music Icons Forever" stamp series.
Postal officials say the agency is releasing a stamp featuring the Albany, Ga., native on Monday along with one of the artist's previously unreleased songs.
Charles was a singer and songwriter who pioneered the soul and rhythm and blues genres. He died in 2004.
Events are being planned in Atlanta and Los Angeles to celebrate Charles' inclusion in the series.
R&B singer Ashanti and the Morehouse College Glee Club are scheduled to perform at the Atlanta school's Ray Charles Performing Arts Center. And Chaka Khan is headlining an event at the Grammy Museum.
The U.S. Postal Service honors music legends each year by featuring them on limited-edition stamps.
music, u.s. postal service, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: 24 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme 28 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death 28 min ago
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos