'Glee' season debut has brief reminder of Monteith
LOS ANGELES (AP) - September 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- There was a subtle, sad reminder of late "Glee" star Cory Monteith in the TV show's fifth-season debut episode.
The hour began Thursday with Lea Michele's character, Rachel Berry, at a callback audition for a Broadway production of "Funny Girl."
After she overhears the director and star (Peter Facinelli, Ioan Gruffudd) suggest she might be too green, a dejected Rachel walks through Manhattan singing the Beatles' melancholy "Yesterday."
At one point, she pauses to gaze at a photo on her cellphone: It's a group shot of her old high school glee club pals, among them Monteith's Finn Hudson.
"Oh, yesterday, love was such an easy game to play. Now I need a place to hide away. Oh, I believe in yesterday," she sings.
Monteith, 31, died in July of a drug and alcohol overdose. He and Michele's real-life relationship was mirrored by their characters' romance on the show.
"Couldn't have picked a more beautiful & perfect song to start the year with," Michele tweeted in August, as production on the Fox show got underway.
The new season of "Glee" is beginning with a two-episode salute to the Beatles' songbook. A tribute to Monteith is planned for episode three, airing Oct. 10, titled "The Quarterback" after his character's high school football role.
Monteith was among a handful of stars given an individual remembrance at Sunday's Emmy Awards.
lea michele, beatles, entertainment
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight 36 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing 36 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts 44 min ago
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still...
36 min ago