Madonna, Davies up for Songwriters Hall of Fame
NEW YORK (AP) - October 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Madonna, John Mellencamp and Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page and Robert Plant are among the nominees for the 2014 Songwriters Hall of Fame.FIRST LINE
They are joined by a number of top acts, including Ray Davies, Sade, Cyndi Lauper and Linda Perry.
The Songwriters Hall of Fame gave The Associated Press a list of nominees in advance of the official announcement, set for Thursday. The gala will be held June 12 at the New York Marriott Marquis.
Also nominated are Heart's Ann and Nancy Wilson, Vince Gill, Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards, Donovan, Cat Stevens and Harry Wayne Casey.
Nonperforming songwriter nominees include "Midnight Train to Georgia" writer Jim Weatherly, Motown songwriter William "Mickey" Stevenson and country music songwriters Bobby Braddock and Bill Anderson.
Mark James, the writer behind "Always on My Mind" - covered by Elvis Presley and Willie Nelson - is also nominated alongside Don Robertson, Graham Gouldman and Tony Macaulay. Writing duos Hugo & Luigi, Sandy Linzer and Denny Randell, and Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham will also compete.
Eligible voters can select two nominees from the list of songwriter-performers and three nonperforming songwriters. Voting ends Dec. 16.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover 47 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish