Philly's Hall and Oates, Nirvana, Ronstadt among Rock Hall of Fame noms
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - October 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Nirvana, Linda Ronstadt, Peter Gabriel, Hall and Oates, and The Replacements are among first-time nominees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
The hall of fame announced its annual list of nominees Wednesday morning and half the field of 16 were first-time nominees. YES, Link Wray and The Zombies also received their first nominations.
More than 600 voters will determine the class of 2014 for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Inductees will be announced in December and a ceremony will be held next April in New York. The induction will be aired on HBO in May.
Nirvana is nominated in its first year of eligibility. If selected for induction, the band would enter the hall of fame almost exactly 20 years after frontman Kurt Cobain's suicide at age 27.
Ronstadt receives her first nomination not long after she shared news that she has Parkinson's disease. Fans have long questioned her absence from the hall's roster of stars. Similarly, long-denied YES joins the list after Rush finally struck a blow for prog rock with its induction earlier this year.
Repeat nominees are KISS, LL Cool J, N.W.A., Cat Stevens, Deep Purple, The Meters, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band and Chic. It's the eighth nomination for Chic since 2003, but comes as co-founder Nile Rodgers is enjoying widespread attention after his collaboration with Daft Punk earlier this year.
KISS, LL Cool J and Stevens return to the list after absences of several years.
THE COMPLETE LIST OF ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME NOMINEES:
- The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
- Deep Purple
- Peter Gabriel
- Hall and Oates
- LL Cool J
- The Meters
- The Replacements
- Linda Ronstadt
- Cat Stevens
- Link Wray
- The Zombies
music, cleveland, ohio, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike 39 min ago
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water 52 min ago
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover 12 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 37 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 50 min ago
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
39 min ago
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated...
52 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
21 min ago