Chicago mayor, comic engage over deep-dish diss
CHICAGO (AP) - November 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Chicago's mayor has delivered a message to comedian Jon Stewart: don't diss his city's prized pizza.
Stewart denounced Chicago deep-dish pizza on "The Daily Show" this week as "an above-ground marinara swimming pool for rats."
His feigned tirade began during a Wednesday segment about hard feelings over North America's tallest building, a title heading to New York from Chicago.
The diss didn't sit well with pie-loving Chicagoans.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel's office sent an anchovy-covered "real pizza" to "The Daily Show" with a note that said: "Jon, Deep Dish With Dead Fish. Love, Rahm."
Stewart's staff wasn't impressed. A video clip on the show's Twitter page shows a dog sniffing the pizza before walking away.
An Emanuel spokeswoman noted that the pizzas in question actually were made in New York.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 40 homes threatened in NJ forest fire 1 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Police probe pizza deliveryman shooting in SW Phila.
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos