Cheadle to play Miles Davis in long planned biopic
NEW YORK (AP) - November 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- Don Cheadle will play Miles Davis in a biopic the actor has long planned on the innovative jazz pioneer.
BiFrost Pictures told The Associated Press on Wednesday that it will finance and produce "Kill the Trumpet Player," with Cheadle also making his directorial debut. Cheadle has been trying to make the film for years. Production is finally set to begin in June.
The production company said the movie will focus on when Davis temporarily retired from making music and then re-emerged in 1979. The script is written by Cheadle and Steven Baigelman.
Ewan McGregor will co-star as a Rolling Stone reporter, and Zoe Saldana will play Frances Davis, the trumpet player's former wife. Davis collaborator Herbie Hancock will be involved in the production.
Davis died in 1991 at age 65.
movies, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ 32 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles 17 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
19 min ago