Actor Hugh Jackman treated for skin cancer on nose
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) - November 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- "The Wolverine" star Hugh Jackman revealed he has been treated for skin cancer and shared a selfie showing his bandaged nose.
"Deb said to get the mark on my nose checked. Boy, was she right!" he wrote on Instagram, referring to his wife, Deborra-Lee Furness.
The 45-year-old Oscar-nominated Jackman said he had a basal cell carcinoma, a common form of skin cancer that is rarely fatal. The note he posted early Friday didn't say when his medical treatment took place.
"Please don't be foolish like me. Get yourself checked. And USE sunscreen!!!" he wrote.
Australia has the highest skin cancer rate in the world, and two in three Australians will be diagnosed before age 70, according to the national health department.
Jackman is an advocate for cancer research. He has revealed that when he asked his mother-in-law Fay Duncan - president of the Fight Cancer Foundation in Australia - for her blessing when he proposed to Furness, she told him that supporting the fight against cancer was one of the requirements to get that blessing.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 56 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder 59 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
56 min ago