Prince to headline 20th annual Essence Fest
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - December 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- Next year's Essence Festival is getting a dose of music royalty from Prince.
The "Purple Rain" singer-songwriter is headlining the 20th annual Essence, a celebration of black music and culture being held July 3-6 in New Orleans.
Prince, who performed at Essence in 2004, also headlined this year's South By Southwest Music Festival in Austin, Texas. His newest single, "Screwdriver," debuted earlier this year. Still, Prince is best known for chart-topping hits like "1999," ''Cool" and "Purple Rain."
Essence has been held every Independence Day weekend since 1995, when it marked the 25th anniversary of Essence magazine.
The festival includes nightly concerts at the Louisiana Superdome and empowerment seminars during the day at a nearby convention center.
Organizers say the rest of the lineup will be announced later.
new orleans, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif.
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases