Bebe Neuwirth to return to 'Chicago' in a new role
NEW YORK (AP) - December 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- Bebe Neuwirth is going back to a familiar place on Broadway, but she's making a little razzle-dazzle history along the way.
Producers said Tuesday the Emmy- and Tony-winning former star of TV's "Cheers" will return to the Ambassador Theatre stage in "Chicago" but this time to play Matron "Mama" Morton. She starts Jan. 14 and ends her eight-week run on March 9.
Neuwirth won the Tony Award in 1997 for her portrayal of jazz-age killer Velma Kelly in the show and then returned 10 years later as merry murderess Roxie Hart. When she sinks her teeth into Morton, Neuwirth will have made history as the first actress to play all three female principal parts.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose