Clay Aiken to run for Congress in North Carolina
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - February 5, 2014 (WPVI) -- Former "American Idol" runner-up Clay Aiken is running for Congress in North Carolina.
Aiken said Wednesday he'll seek the Democratic nomination for the seat currently held by Rep. Renee Ellmers.
The 35-year-old Aiken is expected to face former state commerce secretary Keith Crisco of Asheboro and licensed professional counselor Toni Morris of Fayetteville in the Democratic primary.
Aiken has been a special education teacher in Wake County. He says he decided to put his entertainment career on hold and seek to represent the state's 2nd Congressional District.
He says he considers Washington to be dysfunctional and will focus on jobs and the economy and the importance of education.
Ellmers faces radio talk show host Frank Roche of Cary in the Republican primary.
north carolina, american idol, congress, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate 6 min ago
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance...
6 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos