6ABC Loves The Arts
Walnut Street Theatre presents Miss Saigon
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - June 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- One of the longest running and most critically acclaimed musicals in Broadway history is on stage at the Walnut Street Theatre.
Miss Saigon is a musical masterpiece that's been brought up to date at the historic Walnut Street Theatre. It's the tragic tale of a doomed romance between an American soldier and a Vietnamese bar girl.
Based on Pucinni's Opera, Madame Butterfly, the musical Miss Saigon is a powerful drama covering the last 72 hours before Saigon fell to the Viet Cong.
Bruce Lumpkin, Director & Michelle Gaudette,Choreographer says, "It's about the tragedy of war and how every single person in this play, everyone is a victim of war in one way or another, which is what war does to a country, what war does to people."
The show is directed and choreographed by husband and wife team Bruce Lumpkin and Michelle Gaudette. This is the 7th show they've done together at the Walnut Street Theatre.
While the first part of the musical covers the 17 hour evacuation of Saigon, the second half is set three years later when the American GI, now married, learns he has a son with his Vietnamese love. He embarks on a mission to raise money to rescue all of the abandoned children of Saigon.
"It's a very, very moving piece of theatre. It's a tragic story. War is a tragedy," said Lumpkin.
"I think this piece is very poignant with today's world and what's going on and you know we've had a lot of tragedy because of war and I think that it just honors a past time but it also honors a present time," added Gaudette.
Miss Saigon runs at the Walnut Street Theatre through July 17th. Go to http://walnutstreettheatre.org for show times and tickets.
love the arts, theater, broadway, philadelphia, pennsylvania, 6abc loves the arts
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 35 min ago
- Milder Monday 22 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 35 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 17 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 35 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up 33 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
35 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
35 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
35 min ago
- Milder Monday
22 min ago