6ABC Loves The Arts
Drama camp for kids
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - July 17, 2011 (WPVI) -- Think life with your kid is filled with drama? You can tap into that, this summer, with the help of the Arden Theatre.
All summer long, the Arden Theatre is holding 1 and 2 week drama camps that teach kids everything it takes to put on a production. The camps culminate with a performance for family and friends.
The kids spend Monday through Friday from 9-5 at the Painted Bride in Old City.
Shanna Tedeschi, Camp Director of the Arden Theatre Drama Camp says, "Every single day, each of our children go through a storytelling class. They do playwrighting. They do dance, music and design where they learn how to make their own props and costumes."
For some kids, it's a chance to showcase their inner ham.
"I like that you get to dance and the audience clap for you," said Jeneen Barlow of Cheltenham, Pa.
Grace Barlow says, "Jeneen, has been especially dramatic since, I think, since she was born so we just wanted to foster her love for acting, dancing and singing."
For others, theatre camp helps draw them out of their shell.
The normally shy Taehan Scholl played a bounty hunter robot killer, an evil villain who is slain in the end.
"I'm confident that having that kind of group around him and seeing other kids have that same type of interaction pretty much builds his confidence with other kids, said Helen Lee of South Philadelphia.
Each camp has a different theme. This one was called 'choose your own adventure.
"We've got summer safari. We've got around the world. We've got journeys, voyages and treasurers and all sorts of adventures still to be had with the rest of the summer, " added Tedeschi.
The Arden also has acting and musical theatre camps for teens. Go to the Arden Theatre for details.
love the arts, theater, old city, philadelphia, pennsylvania, 6abc loves the arts
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Camden teen reported missing
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear 16 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding 34 min ago
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!