6ABC Loves The Arts
6abc Loves the Arts: The Battle of the Canvas
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - August 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- Ever see a painter at work actually creating a piece of art from start to finish? Now is your chance.
It's called The Battle of the Canvas. 26 visual artists will gather at the Piazza at Schmidts in Northern Liberties, next Saturday, for a live painting competition.
Simone Banks, Producer, Battle of the Canvas said, "All of the artists involved get their canvas that day and they have to paint for 10 hours and the only stipulation is that they have to complete their piece by 10 o'clock that night. So it allows the audience to see that full process from beginning to end on the canvas."
Simone Banks started Battle of the Canvas, last year, as her masters project at Drexel to make art more accessible to the public. She designed the event with a festival feel with craft vendors and 10 hours of live music as well.
"And all of the music is diverse as far as rock, hip hop, fusion, electronic, dub, lots of different DJs. Also, this year I'm adding a kid's corner so there will be family-friendly activities-individual, group projects," said Banks.
Most of the competing artists are from Philadelphia but a few are coming from out of state.
Banks said, "They're all emerging and some professional visual artists that work with acrylic, oil, installation artists, graffiti artists so there will be lots of different mediums."
"And then you really just see that artistic process, the artists framing their thoughts on canvas. A lot of them don't' really know what they're going to paint. Some of them are prepared and they bring sketches. But really that process is just really, really amazing to see and you're able to talk to the artists and really give them feedback and they're really interactive."
The public picks their favorite piece and the winner gets $500 and a gallery exhibition at Vivant Art Collection in Old City. Visit The Battle of the Canvas for all of the details.
old city, love the arts, 6abc loves the arts, david murphy
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95 10 min ago
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- PennDOT preps begin ahead of wintry mix
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI 9 min ago
- Man shot, killed in West Oak Lane
- $10K reward in murder of Chester gas station owner
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction
- Underground transformer fire in Center City
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- NJ officers play Santa for 'Shop with a Cop'
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs Pearl Harbor tweet
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
10 min ago