6ABC Loves The Arts
Opera at the Academy
PHILADELPHIA - September 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Opera Company of Philadelphia is opening its fall season with a classic production but its being shown in a way like never before.
Opening night will feature Carmen, Bizet's beguiling tale of seduction, obsession and betrayal. The opera opens September 30th at the Academy of Music. You can watch it there or you can grab a blanket or chair and head to the Independence Mall lawn for the opera company's first ever free live simulcast.
The title role of Carmen is played by the Curtis trained Rinat Shaham, considered one of the foremost Carmen interpreters. She's performed the role hundreds of times.
Rinat Shaham, "Carmen" says, "I don't think you can get any better character to play than Carmen. She's very charismatic and she's playful and yeah, she's very idealistic. She believes in something and she goes for it and I just like being on stage as her."
The all-star cast also features Philadelphia soprano Ailyn Perez and acclaimed tenor David Pomeroy, making his Philadelphia debut as Don Jose, the na´ve young corporal who falls for the bewitching Carmen.
David Pomeroy, 'Don Jose' says, "I think the actual opera, Carmen, it appeals to the masses. I mean everybody loves the story. Musically speaking, there's so many famous and memorable melodies that people will recognize and hear."
For example, the Toreador song, everybody knows it. It's even a phone ring. It's a great drama and music. It's just this big happening. Even if you've never seen opera in your life I think Carmen is the best opera to see as a first timer." added Shaham.Opening night is next Friday, September 30th at 8pm. For tickets or to register for the free simulcast, go to Opera Company of Philadelphia.
lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts, karen rogers
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 45 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 7 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 12 min ago
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession 46 min ago
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
45 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
7 min ago