6ABC Loves The Arts
The Kimmel Center celebrates 10 years
PHILADELPHIA - October 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts turns 10 years old, this year. To celebrate the building's birthday, they are celebrating some of Philadelphia's greatest jazz legends.
Throughout the month of October, the Kimmel Center will spotlight some of the giants of jazz&.from the legendary Herbie Hancock to the rising star of Esperanza Spalding to South Philadelphia's own 'The Heath Brothers.'
Saxophonist Jimmy Heath has contributed to more than 100 albums and performed with nearly all of the jazz masters of the past 5o years. His younger brother, Albert "Tootie," is renowned for his jazz hard-bop drumming skills.
Matt Wolf, VP of Programming, at The Kimmel Center said, "So this concert is going to be great because it features four different genres. It will be the hard bop jazz style, smooth jazz, big band and even a little hip hop thrown in there."
The October 15th show in the Kimmel's Perelman Theatre includes a talk back session where audience members can ask questions. There's also a video of Jimmy Heath.
"We took him around to various jazz spots that he remembered and then we actually had him tell his stories, his memories about each of these spaces and why they were important to him and why they were important to the jazz scene," said Wolf.
On October 14th, Esperanza Spaulding will perform her Grammy award-winning album at the Merriam Theatre.And next Saturday, October 8th, double Grammy winner Herbie Hancock takes the stage for his first ever solo tour.
Wolf added, "So within about a 2 week period of time, we're hosting Herbie Hancock doing a unique solo show, Esperanza Spaulding doing her Grammy award-winning album and the Heath Brothers.It's a fantastic month of jazz."
Three other giants of the Philadelphia jazz scene will be honored later in the season. For tickets and the full schedule, go to the Kimmel Center.
music, lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts, david murphy
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Bear spotted in Bucks County
- AccuWeather: Damp and Cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- Water main break forces evacuation of Fishtown bar
- Bicyclist struck in Kensington DUI crash
- Video: Caught on tape: Huge tornado in Kansas
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges
- White House insists Obama was not involved in IRS
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list