6ABC Loves The Arts
Rock of Ages kicks off Broadway series
PHILADELPHIA - October 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- If you like the hair bands of the 80s and their rock anthem hits, you'll love the Broadway musical that will soon be opening at the Merriam Theatre.
The jukebox musical, Rock of Ages, kicks off the Kimmel Center's Broadway series, this season, and it is a parade of hits from Foreigner, Pat Benatar, Asia &. pretty much every big rock band from the 1980s.
Matt Wolf, VP of Programming, at The Kimmel Center says, "Rock of Ages is probably one of the most fun evenings you're going to have at a theatre."
The 5-time Tony Award nominated musical is set on LA's Sunset Strip and it's the story of Drew, a big city boy with dreams of becoming a rock star, who meets and falls in love with Sherrie, a small town girl who moved to LA to be a movie star.
"It's funny. I think the show has a tremendous amount of heart. I think you really fall in love with the characters. I think the music is just powerful," added Wolf.
It is a rock revue score that will take you back to the time of big bands with big hair and big egos.
Wolf says, "It's high energy. It features some of the greatest rock and roll music of all time, the hits of journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Poison. I mean, for me, it was like going back to high school."
It is a feel good, comedic celebration of dreaming big and playing loud.
"I think it really proves sort of the ageless nature of these really great rocks songs, and what's great about this show too is that it appeals to a non-traditional audience too. Because it's not just Broadway people who love this music. It's everyone," added Wolf.Rock of Ages starts a 6-day run at the Merriam Theatre on October 18th. For tickets and scheduling, visit the Kimmel Center
center city, theater, lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts, karen rogers
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book