6ABC Loves The Arts
Anonymous 4 brings the Middle Ages to Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - December 4, 2011 (WPVI) -- The sound of music from the Middle Ages will soon fill the historic church of the Holy Trinity on Rittenhouse Square.
The Philadelphia Chamber Music Society is bringing Anonymous 4 to Philadelphia, an all female acapella group known for their other worldly vocal blend and mesmerizing medieval chants.
Anonymous 4 was founded 25 years ago after four vocally trained women met at a medieval chant workshop.
Miles Cohen from the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society said, "They noticed that there was this wealth of music from the Middle Ages that really was just untapped."
They named their group Anonymous 4 because most of the music from that time is written by anonymous people. The Grammy award winning quartet has topped Billboards Top Classical chart, produced 19 recordings to date and sold over 2 million CDs.
Cohen said, "For a non-pop ensemble to move 2M CDs is pretty phenomenal.They themselves make an incredibly unique blend, which has made them so popular."
Their December 16th concert is entitled Anthology 25, a celebration of the groups 25 years together.
"They'll begin with the 11th century chant, which is what they started singing at the very beginning of their careers. The next thing will be 13 century French motets. They'll do some 15th century Hungarian polyphony. When you step into Church of the Holy Trinity and hear Anonymous 4, you're definitely going directly away from your world and into a totally different world and it's a very spiritual experience," added Cohen.Anonymous 4 will appear with the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society on Friday, December 16th. For tickets, go to PCMS concerts.
music, lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts, david murphy
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 42 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 33 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 10 more bodies found inside South Korean ferry 14 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire 42 min ago
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 34 min ago
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing 42 min ago
- Woman's body found in Berks County
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital 42 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Brush fire destroys 25 acres in Burlington Co. 19 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
42 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
42 min ago
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
42 min ago
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody!
34 min ago