6ABC Loves The Arts
The holiday spirit of music and giving
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - December 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia is combining a toy symphony with a toy drive for needy children, this holiday season.
This is the first ever toy drive for the Chamber Orchestra but they plan to make it an annual event. It's combined with music from Mendelssohn and Mozart&.both the father and his much more famous son.
The concert kicks off with the charming Toy Symphony, believed to be written by Leopold Mozart, the father of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
Peter Gistelinck, the Exec. Dir., Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia said, "It's kind of a mini symphony. The structure is the same as a classical symphony but then you have all the toys that are incorporated so you have all of these instruments that basically imitate toys."
Concert goers are asked to bring an unwrapped toy, winter coats or clothing. Donated items will go to Cradles to Crayons, to help a child in need this winter.
"There's so many families and children in need, probably don't always have the same opportunity that we may have to have a wonderful Christmas and a wonderful New Year and that's the least that we can do," said Gistelinck.
The concert also features principal horn player John David Smith, performing Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Fourth Horn Concerto.
Gistelinck added, "He's musically...extremely wonderful you know to interpret the music but also technically. So we're really happy to feature him. It's a wonderful work."
The program ends with Mendelssohn's 4th Symphony, a fast-paced joyful piece known as the Italian Symphony.
Gistelinck said, "This is a family friendly program. I call it from 7 to 77. I mean it really pleases everybody."
The toy drive and concerts are scheduled for December 18th and 19th in the Kimmel Center's Perelman Theatre.You can find all of the details at The Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia.
music, philadelphia orchestra, lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts, david murphy
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos