6ABC Loves The Arts
The holiday spirit of music and giving
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - December 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia is combining a toy symphony with a toy drive for needy children, this holiday season.
This is the first ever toy drive for the Chamber Orchestra but they plan to make it an annual event. It's combined with music from Mendelssohn and Mozart&.both the father and his much more famous son.
The concert kicks off with the charming Toy Symphony, believed to be written by Leopold Mozart, the father of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
Peter Gistelinck, the Exec. Dir., Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia said, "It's kind of a mini symphony. The structure is the same as a classical symphony but then you have all the toys that are incorporated so you have all of these instruments that basically imitate toys."
Concert goers are asked to bring an unwrapped toy, winter coats or clothing. Donated items will go to Cradles to Crayons, to help a child in need this winter.
"There's so many families and children in need, probably don't always have the same opportunity that we may have to have a wonderful Christmas and a wonderful New Year and that's the least that we can do," said Gistelinck.
The concert also features principal horn player John David Smith, performing Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Fourth Horn Concerto.
Gistelinck added, "He's musically...extremely wonderful you know to interpret the music but also technically. So we're really happy to feature him. It's a wonderful work."
The program ends with Mendelssohn's 4th Symphony, a fast-paced joyful piece known as the Italian Symphony.
Gistelinck said, "This is a family friendly program. I call it from 7 to 77. I mean it really pleases everybody."
The toy drive and concerts are scheduled for December 18th and 19th in the Kimmel Center's Perelman Theatre.You can find all of the details at The Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia.
music, philadelphia orchestra, lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts, david murphy
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating 19 min ago
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos 27 min ago
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- SUV crashes into gas pump, bursts into flames
39 min ago