6ABC Loves The Arts
Award winning musical "Memphis" debuts in Phila.
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - January 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- A red hot musical set in the underground dance clubs of 1950s Memphis will soon be raising the roof at the Academy of Music.
Memphis the Musical took home four Tony awards, last year, including one for best musical and for best score.
The producers are now taking the show on the road for a US Tour and it's stopping in Philadelphia in just a few weeks.
Based on a real-life story, Memphis is a tale of fame and forbidden love&.a white DJ named Huey who falls in love with an African American singer in a segregated underground club in 1950s Memphis.
"That kind of just wonderful story about people who live their lives color blind and are able to achieve great things because they don't have limited vision," said Matt Wolf, VP, Programming at the Kimmel Center.
It's about you know doing something nobody has done before and taking those risks and seeing where they go," added Wolf.
The Tony award-winning score was written by David Bryan, the founding keyboard player for Bon Jovi.
"He, himself, brings this incredibly well educated blues and rock and gospel sound to the show and it just electrifies the audience. . It just gets you out of your seat. You're tapping your toes. It's a very catchy, wonderful, powerful musical ," said Wolf.
Memphis starts a 6 day run at the Academy of Music on January 17th. For scheduling and tickets, go to Kimmel Center.
lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts, david murphy
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Grandmother sentenced in Pa. baby's 2009 death 20 min ago
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Police question suspect in Christmas package theft
- Pa. man gets probation for 105 animals in mobile home 33 min ago
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep