6ABC Loves The Arts
Philly Pops celebrate a night at the Oscars
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - January 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- The nominees have been announced and the 84th Academy Awards will be held exactly one month from today. For those who just can't wait, Peter Nero and the Philly Pops are celebrating award-winning music from the movies.
The theme of the concert is 'A Night at the Oscars' and it kicks off the Pops 33rd season with epic scores and popular songs from Academy Award-winning and nominated movies.
"We'll try and run the gamut from going back to 1935 to the present and all points in between," said Peter Nero, Music Director, Peter Nero & The Philly Pops.
Vocalists will bring the screen music to life. Sal Viviano is a Tony Award-winning Broadway tenor baritone. Jodi Benson was the other-worldly voice of Ariel in Disney's Oscar-winning flick, The Little Mermaid. "She'll be doing some Disney songs but other songs too that fit into the category of Oscar nominated or winning songs," added Nero.
The Pops will give a nod to Valentine's Day as well with some romantic love songs, including the immortal My Funny Valentine.
Peter Nero will celebrate the 50th anniversary of his first Grammy award with a performance of the always a crowd pleaser, Rhapsody in Blue.
Rhapsody in Blue is not only a classical George Gershwin song, it was also a motion picture nominated for 2 Oscars in 1945. While Nero is still finalizing the playlist, he promises to deliver about 20 audience favorites.
"They're all my personal favorites, I wouldn't play anything but," said Nero.A Night at the Oscars premiers on February 8th and runs through the 12th at the Kimmel Center. Visit Peter Nero and the Philly Pops for performance times and tickets.
oscars, music, philadelphia, pennsylvania, lifestyle, 6abc loves the arts, karen rogers
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 49 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- Van crash leaves 2 men trapped in Center City
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids 4 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
49 min ago