6ABC Loves The Arts
Arden Theatre presents Clybourne Park
OLD CITY - February 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Arden Theatre is staging Clybourne Park, the winner of last year's Pulitzer Prize for drama.
In Clybourne Park, writer Bruce Norris takes some of the characters from the 1959 classic, Raisin in the Sun, and builds a story around a house and a changing neighborhood over a span of 5 decades.
Act I is set in 1959 when an African American family is about to move in to what had been the all-white enclave of Clybourne Park.
Erika Rose who plays Francine & Lena in Clybourne Park said, "They hash out all kinds of issues as to why a black family should or shouldn't move here, what will happen to the neighborhood, living next door to a black family, how do they live? What do you they eat?"
Act II fast forwards 50 years.
"And it's the same neighborhood but it's completely flipped," said Rose.
Ian Merrill Peakes, who plays Karl & Steve in Clybourne Park added, "All of the white people want to move back in because now the neighborhood is the place to be."
For actress Erika Rose, the play has personal meaning. Her own grandmother was a block buster in 1954.
"I think it's going to spark a lot of conversation when people go home. It could be about race, gentrification. It could be about class, legacy of a neighborhood, and how we all work together and live together," said Rose.
In addition to the Pulitzer, Clybourne Park has won a host of critical awards and is slated to hit Broadway, this spring.
Peakes said, "I think if everyone can sort of look at this play, hold a mirror to themselves and just be honest about our fears and our anxieties and our issues with other people, I think we can take a deep breath and take that next step forward into making it a better world."Clybourne Park is on the Arden's Main Stage through March 18th. For tickets and show times, go to Arden Theatre Company.
love the arts, old city, philadelphia, pennsylvania, 6abc loves the arts
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina 49 min ago
- Spotty, but drenching showers this afternoon, a t'storm also possible 21 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Bus co. mistake cancels kids' DC field trip 49 min ago
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa. 54 min ago
- New details released in NJ liquor swapping 30 min ago
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings 29 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment 46 min ago
- Driver injured in crash involving Delaware fire chief
- NJ man accused of defrauding FEMA
- Cicadas arriving in NJ in time for holiday weekend
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
54 min ago
- New details released in NJ liquor swapping
30 min ago
- Bus co. mistake cancels kids' DC field trip
49 min ago
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings
29 min ago