6ABC Loves The Arts
Taking a musical journey through Europe
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - March 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- Are you feeling in need of a vacation? The Philadelphia Orchestra wants to take your ears, at least, on a musical journey through Europe.
It's a concert series the Orchestra has dubbed a Grand Tour. The guest conductor is Italian. The musical pieces are from his native Italy as well as Scotland and Russia.
The whirlwind tour begins in Italy with one of Rossini's most famous works.
From there it's off to Russia and Prokofiev's Violin Concerto. First Associate Concertmaster Juliette Kang is the featured soloist.
"It's incredibly lyrical. The second movement is a really wild romp so it's fast and brusque and furious but the whole effect, I think, of the piece, which starts really soft to begin with and ends off in the ethereal distance, is just pure magic. It's exotic and very dream like," said Kang.
The journey ends with a sojourn to Scotland with Mendelssohn's Scottish Symphony.
"Although he was German, it's called the Scottish Symphony. It uses Scottish tunes and some of the Scottish dances," added Kang.
It's his take on Scottish themes and it's just pure Mendelssohn. It's a beautiful, extremely lyrical work.
Italian Maestro Gianandrea Noseda will conduct the series.
Kang says, "He's a great conductor and we instantly made a great connection between the orchestra and him. He's so energetic, just full of fire and incredibly humorous too."The Orchestra embarks on its Grand Tour March 16th. Visit The Philadelphia Orchestra for tickets and scheduling.
love the arts, philadelphia orchestra, music, 6abc loves the arts
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 30 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 34 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Woman's body found in Berks County
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 22 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
16 min ago